* WGs marked with an * asterisk has had at least one new draft made available during the last 5 days

Lisp Status Pages

Locator/ID Separation Protocol (Active WG)
Rtg Area: Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux, John Scudder | 2009-Apr-28 —  
Chairs
 
 


IETF-112 lisp minutes


Minutes

minutes-112-lisp-00 minutes



          IETF 112- LISP WG Minutes
          
          CHAIR(s):  Joel Halpern ( jmh AT joelhalpern.com )   Luigi Iannone (
          ggx AT gigix.net )
          
          SECRETARY: Padma Pillay-Esnault ( padma.ietf AT gmail.com )
          
          AGENDA  Session 1/1 (120 Minutes) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          Friday, November 12, 2021 12:00 - 14:00 (UTC)
          
          Administration     Halpern/Iannone
          - Agenda Bashing
          - Status reports for WG drafts 10 Minutes (Cumulative Time: 10 Minutes)
          
          
          Luigi: Since 101 some documents have been sitting there for a while and
          the bottleneck is LISP-Sec. Work on LISP-sec, pen passed to Damien. Aim
          to finish this doc before Christmas.
          
          As for other docs, Yang model is ready. Today, we will go over the
          LISP VPN and Lisp L2/L3 EID Mobility Using a Unified Control Plane and
          discuss them. And there are a bunch of doc sitting for a while and need
          some attention to gauge interest in the WG.
          
          
          Slides are found here https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/112/materials/
          
          o WG Items
          - LISP L2/L3 EID Mobility Using a Unified Control Plane
          https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-eid-mobility/
          15 Minutes (Cumulative Time: 25 Minutes)   Marc Portoles
          
          Discussions:
          Marc concluded the slides with the following question: whether site-id
          should be used instead of ES-ID? Marc mentioned this had been used quite
          a lot and it is working in practice.
          
          Luigi Ð You are using Instance-ID to distinguish between L2 and L3 and
          you do not distinguish these ID. There is no reservation except saying
          this ID is used for L2 by config?
          Marc: Yes. Exactly Ð by defining the instance-id we map it to a vrf/
          vlan and link it.
          Luigi Ð How about LISP GPE? Can we use it here?
          Marc Ð Yes. There is a section for encapsulation and we can combine
          L2/L3 and segment path as well?
          Luigi Ð It would make sense to me to reuse the site ID rather that the new
          segment ID. You should revise the document to reference to the documents
          we have now and look if there is any implications in LISP-Sec.
          Marc Ð Sure.
          
          
          - LISP Virtual Private Networks
          https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-vpn/   10 Minutes
          (Cumulative Time: 35 Minutes)   Marc Portoles
          
          Discussions:
          
          Authors: would like to request WG Last Call.
          Luigi: Polled for any questions from audience?
          
          Luigi: You mention that AFI is a distinguished name however in the doc
          there is a distinguished names type that is not defined anywhere.
          Marc Ð we use the type 17.
          Joel: you're going to use distinguished names then you're going to need
          to put in text about how they are distinguished? What keeps them separate
          because your example is just an arbitrary name that seems to imply that
          they're going to collide in the mapping system. That's not good but if
          you can keep them separate then specify how.
          Marc: Okay
          Luigi:  Should also start by putting the document in the
          reference. Generate update needed for the doc to fix the references.
          
          Another question: You show how it goes in one direction but how will
          it go also in the other direction if there is any mismatch? Was this
          discussed?
          Marc: Valid point the document does not discuss this.
          Luigi: Similarly, when you have several xtrs and then you want to update
          the mapping you need to add text
          Joel Ð I went to see at the draft and I see you imply that the names
          have semantics and the names do not have semantics.
          Luigi Ð in the light of the comments here, suggest that first we do a
          revision of the documents before we move forward.
          Marc - OK
          
          o Non WG Items
          
          - LISP Map Server Reliable Transport
          https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kouvelas-lisp-map-server-reliable-transport/
          20 Minutes (Cumulative Time: 55 Minutes)   Marc Portoles
          
          Discussion:
          Authors request to be a WG doc.
          
          Luigi polled if there is any questions from the audience.
          
          Luigi: There is a registration using UDP but it is not clear how you
          set up a session. Is there an explicit signaling.
          Marc: What we do today, there is a try and fail on different transport
          and then UDP.
          Luigi: so you send some messages and see if the other side is
          responding. You can update the document to describe better how these
          transition occur and how to implement it.
          
          Luigi: Personal observation, you authenticate but you do not have
          security layer. If this document moves forward, the security review
          may well come back to say this system is not secure. Suggest to have
          a look at how LISP-Sec apply. Just authenticating to the other side is
          not enough. Need to update the document
          Luigi: Regarding adoption for now the draft is expired. Need to do few
          updates for it to be considered. Like the document for reliable transport
          it is interesting.
          
          As chair I shared my concerns and priority is LISP-Sec for all the
          documents. We have done a lot of work and this is the last piece that
          is missing
          
          
          - LISP - Fix   20 Minutes (Cumulative Time: 75 Minutes)   Sharon
          Barkai
          
          IPFIX shift from traditional use, seen as useful for sampling in
          networking.
          
          Authors appreciate every feedback and offline very welcome.
          
          Discussion:
          Padma: Very interesting study Ð question regarding sampling, you mention
          that you are looking at reduction of amount of sampling. My questions
          is regarding the priority of those packets and whether this large amount
          of traffic seen as control traffic or just regular traffic for the apps?
          Sharon Ð using IP fix and NetFlow of cisco, using IP headers
          
          Padma: Will take offline with you interested in understanding how the
          competition between that amount of sampling priority may impact control
          traffic.
          
          Sharon: I think the question is after the sampling has been gathered
          per application the sampling records are the high priority traffic just
          to protect the process of ongoing sampling so analysis will be you know
          protected. You think we can answer that offline and that's a great point
          thank you.
          
          Marc: Could you give an insight of how are you structuring the EIDs or
          how do you see it being structured
          
          Sharon: Great question so currently you know it's a private space of
          cyber network and it relates to your presentation also Marc and there's
          about space conservation. We match a specific ID to any group testing
          or do we simply algorithmically generate EIDs and use the mapping system
          for a longest match for the best collector for this
          
          LISP Nexagon Parking Detection deployment
          
          Discussion
          Luigi: These are interesting use cases for LISP. Do you think there will
          be extension of LISP Protocol specification?
          Sharon: May be but so far is enough. Perhaps on how we allocate EIDs,
          signal partitions.. but so far specification is good enough.
          
          Marc: in practice um with signal free and replication, have you seen
          any scalability issues when deploying this?  For example if you have to
          replicate to too many sites?
          
          Sharon: Good point great point so actually for these networks where
          there's a lot of production of data routed to somewhere close for
          reduction and then propagation based on a subscription.
          
          Marc: Are you doing priority here or are you just doing a selection of
          list compiled from signals free registration. Then you get all these
          car logs in the list and then what you do is filter down. Is there are
          issues with the latency due to distance.
          Sharon: It doesn't relate to where the car is because that even though
          the car is moving  IP anchor is not moving.  ItÕs mostly related to if I
          put an H3 EID service there then the car can upload more data per meter
          so IÕll have more coverage and I can get more out of any car so now I
          have to put the eids based on load of the current compute situation and
          SLA of the carrier.
          
          



Generated from PyHt script /wg/lisp/minutes.pyht Latest update: 24 Oct 2012 16:51 GMT -